Thursday 7 November 2019

Peter Draper in Egypt

Peter Draper writes:


I recently gave a paper and led a workshop on the topic of nursing competencies, at a conference organized by the Faculty of Nursing of Damanhur University in Egypt.  The university was established about 8 years ago, having formerly been a branch of Alexandria University.  The Faculty of Nursing has a separate building, and a dental faculty is currently being constructed, suggesting that, as in the UK, health embedding itself more securely as a leading feature in the higher education landscape.
The conference was conducted in both Arabic and English.  The opening ceremony was very formal.  I sat next to the Undersecretary for Health and other dignitaries, to assist in making numerous awards (I’m not sure what they were for) to recipients including military nurses, student prizewinners, and members of staff, and I also received two splendid plaques to grace my office!  I began my paper by confessing that I know very little Arabic apart from the traditional greeting ‘Salam Alaikum’ – for which I received a big round of applause and a cheer.

On the second day of my visit I held a 3-hour workshop on competencies in education, and this enabled me to discuss the state of nursing internationally with students and staff.  There is a lot that’s great about nursing education in Egypt.  They have a four-year undergraduate programme, with an additional compulsory internship to embed their students’ professional learning. The nursing research programme is rapidly growing, and I heard some very interesting papers.  However professional life also has its challenges.  The government is currently reducing the size of its payroll and universities are reducing their staffing complement; and as a predominantly female profession, Egyptian nurse colleagues can also find themselves constrained in a male-dominated world.

I was treated like a celebrity throughout my stay.  Students took hundreds of selfies with me, and I signed and stamped almost a thousand certificates.  I am grateful for the hospitality of colleagues (thank you Dr Mohammed, Dr Reem and Dr Reem, and also Dr Doaa) who enabled me to enjoy local Egyptian food, and who drove me safely around.  (Driving in Egypt? That’s another story – buy me a coffee and I’ll tell you about it).  I left after my short trip with a great deal that is of value: a new word in my Arabic vocabulary (shokran), a handsome bust of Tutankhamen (made in China), a deeper understanding of international nursing, and some genuine friendships with amazing colleagues.

I am grateful to Roger Watson, Tracey Heath and Jane Wray who provided additional ideas and materials for my paper and workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment