Saturday 17 November 2018

What a coincidence!


Tim Buescher writes:
 
I sat down on a plane to Cork, heading for the 10th Critical Voices Network Ireland conference and heard a familiar voice coming from the seats behind me. I turned round and found one of the external examiners at my viva exam, sat right behind me! I was introduced to other academics from UCLAN who made feel like a welcome part of their group. This spirit of welcome and inclusion pervaded the conference, even though there were about 600 attendees.

This conference brings together activists, academics, service users, survivors of mental health services and systems and their supporters, clinicians, alternative practitioners, students (the conference runs around and within the usual teaching curriculum) and it’s free to attend. My presentation on compulsive hoarding and co-production was well received by those present and I can see future projects arising from this. In addition, people in my session managed to find local sources of help for people struggling with their possessions.
For anyone interested in finding out more about the conference, the book of abstracts can be viewed here

Some of the plenary sessions were live streamed and are available to view here
 
For anyone interested in developing coproduction in mental health research and practice, mad studies, peer workers, recovery, mad politics there is a lot to think about here.



No comments:

Post a Comment